This is the best veggie burrito recipe around. Hands down. Ok, I might be a little biased because it's my husband’s special recipe and I’ve been eating it for years... you’ll have to try them and let me know. Before I met my husband, I’d never had burritos made this way: baked. But the crispy tortilla is a nice compliment to the soft refried bean and veggie filling.
As with most of my recipes, you can sub the veggies I have listed here for your favorite veggies. In the past we've added cucumbers, sprouts, peppers, onion - you name it! I love versatile recipes - they keep things fresh but not overly complicated in the kitchen.
These are super easy to make – they can be prepped and in the oven in 15 minutes! You definitely have time to try this veggie burrito recipe out.
Hubby’s Veggie Burrito Recipe
1 tsp pre-minced garlic
1 16 oz. can vegetarian refried beans
1 medium green or yellow squash
2 cups spinach or kale
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
4 burrito-sized tortilla shells
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar (optional)
1 tbsp white wine or water
- Chop squash (quarter-sized pieces) and greens
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic
- Add white wine or water to prevent garlic from burning
- Add squash and greens and sauté until mostly soft
- Add refried beans, mixing all ingredients and heating thoroughly
- Stir cheese into veg and bean mix and remove from heat
- Nuke single tortilla shell for 30 seconds.
- Stuff shell with quarter of bean mixture, wrap, and place in baking dish
- Repeat steps 7 & 8 for 3 additional burritos
- Bake at 375F until tortillas brown on the edges (about 15 minutes)
These come out of the oven HOT – so make sure to let them cool for at least 5 minutes. Top with your favorite salsa or pico de gallo and guacamole and you are good to go!