I love cooking, but I rarely have the time or energy to cook a big meal after work. On weekdays, I am all about ease and efficiency, but I like to stick with something home-cooked and loaded with healthy proteins and lots of veggies. This one-pot recipe is beyond simple, but can be diversified so easily that it’s a real crowd pleaser! It’s also a no-frills introduction to quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wah’) for anyone new to the stuff.
One-Pot Quinoa and Veggies
- 1 cup quinoa (washed)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 bag favorite frozen veggies
- 2-3 cups chopped or ‘hand-torn’ hearty leafy greens (spinach, kale, collards, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)*
* the coconut oil brings a little extra nutty flavor
Combine quinoa, water, frozen veggies, and coconut oil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes (until quinoa is soft and a white ring develops around grains). Just before quinoa finishes (1-2 minutes left), throw in the greens and cover. Remove from heat, stir, and serve!
You can totally stop there, but if you're looking for something more:
- For a Korean (bibimbop) take, top with a fried egg and add some sriracha.
- For a little Mexican flare, add some salsa and avocado.
- Toss in your favorite lean protein (note: quinoa is a great stand-alone source of protein).
- Double the recipe and fridge or freeze the extra for ultra ease.
No matter what modifications you make,always keep it simple and easy – it tastes better that way!
Have you tried quinoa yet? Tell me what you love or fear about quinoa in the comments.